Warning: mysqli_query(): (HY000/1): Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_7bca_0.MYI' (Errcode: 28 - No space left on device) in /home/fbaforwa/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1924
How to Get an EIN from Outside of the U.S.A. | FBAforward

How to Get an EIN from Outside the U.S.

How to Get an EIN

How to Get an EIN from Outside the U.S.

We’ve received a lot of questions from our non-U.S. customers lately about how to go about obtaining an EIN (employer identification number) if you are not a U.S. citizen and are outside the U.S. There are a few services out there that will do this for you, but at insane prices! We’ve broken this down for everyone as the process can be a little sticky at best, and a nightmare at worst! (Note: If you’re already in the U.S. you can get an EIN online in about 5 minutes through the IRS website.)

Why Do I Need an EIN?

An EIN is a tax identification number that the IRS (internal revenue service) uses to track and receive income taxes for businesses. There are two main reasons you will need an EIN as an Amazon seller. First, Amazon requires some sort of tax id when creating a professional sellers account in the United States. If you’re outside the U.S., you most likely won’t have a social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), so you will need to enter an EIN for your business. Second, in order to import goods into the United States you will either need a tax id (SSN, ITIN, or EIN), or you can file some complicated forms with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection. In our experience, it is much easier (and cheaper) to get an EIN in order to import, but we wanted to let you know there are other options.

How Do I Get an EIN?

Obtaining your EIN can be complicated, and there are many services out there that will do it for you, charging upwards of $500! Follow the steps below and save yourself some money!

Step 1: Get a U.S. Mailing Address

The first thing you’ll need is a mailing address in the U.S. If you’re an Amazon seller outside the U.S. you probably don’t have one of these. You can get a nice friend to loan you theirs, or pay a service to receive mail for you/your company. We researched a few of the biggest providers of U.S. mailing addresses and USAMail1 was our favorite. They had great user reviews, and very reasonable pricing at just $10 per month. They’ll hold your mail/packages for you, and forward them to you whenever you request.

Step 2: Fill Out IRS Form SS-4

The form you need to fill out to obtain an EIN is the SS-4. The form can be found on the IRS website, and the instructions can be found here. The caveat with this form is you won’t actually need to file it, so don’t stress too much about having everything perfect, you’ll just need the information when you call to get your EIN. (Note: You can fill out the SS-4 and mail it to the IRS. They will take 30 days to have an EIN created and mailed to your U.S. address, and if there are any errors on the form it will most likely get rejected. It is much easier to just call and get your EIN instantly.)

Step 3: Call the IRS

Once you have a U.S. address and form SS-4 filled out it’s time to call the IRS and get your EIN. This call WILL take close to an hour, including hold time, and the number is not toll-free, so be prepared. We recommend using a service like Google Voice or Skype for cheap international calling. The number to call is +1 267 941 1099. Keep in mind this is not a 24 hour phone line. The hours of operation are between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (GMT – 5:00), Monday through Friday.
You’ll need to press 1 for a foreign EIN, and then hold anywhere between 15 and 45 minutes (don’t run out of Skype credit!) When you finally get an agent on the phone let them know you need an EIN for a foreign sole proprietorship. The agent will most likely ask if you have filled out form SS-4, and then proceed to ask a few more simple questions about your business. Once you have answered all of the questions the agent will issue you an EIN that you can begin to use immediately. Write your EIN down and don’t lose it. You will not be mailed a copy for a few weeks, and even then it will be to your U.S. address.

Step 4: Use Liberally!

Now that you have an EIN go to town! You’ll be ready to set up your U.S. based Amazon seller account, import goods into the U.S. and lots of other great things. Now that you’re all set, click here to start an order with us!

Update: It has come to our attention that a US mailing address may no longer be required. Please speak to your IRS representative for more details.

Have a question? Contact our customer service agents at support@fbaforward.com.

A Guide to Applying for an EIN or Employment Identification Number Outside of the USA

Comments (97)

  • Tuhung Reply

    Hi FBA forward:
    I want to ship twenty-feet-containers from Taiwan to Amazon, but i
    don’t know how to do. Can i ship twenty-feet-container to Amazon by individual or company?
    Thank you for your further reply.

    Thank you

    July 27, 2016 at 8:54 am
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Tuhung,

      Each situation is unique and there will be a few steps you need to take in between. Please contact our customer service representatives by filling out a contact form, emailing us at support@fbaforward.com, or calling us at (866) 526-3951. We can walk you through the process!

      Thank you,


      July 29, 2016 at 10:20 am
    • Aly Reply

      How can I Get in touch with you as we are somewhat in the same process .

      January 25, 2017 at 7:52 pm
  • Hung Reply


    Do i really need EIN to start being international Amazon Seller (i am outside USA)? I am getting my own UPC via GS1

    Please reply soon

    August 24, 2016 at 7:02 pm
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply


      You will still need an EIN to act as your tax ID for importing products into the US and to register for a professional seller account on Amazon (if you do not have a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number).

      Let us know if you have any more questions! We also offer shipping and customs support, and other FBA logistics services if you need further assistance with your shipment.

      Have a great day,

      August 25, 2016 at 11:47 am
  • Mattia Reply


    Great article 🙂
    We live outside the U.S. and want to start soon importing in order to sell via AMZ FBA. My question:

    We have neither an EIN nor an ITIN. Does it make any difference which kind of tax ID number we apply for?

    I saw that on the W-8BEN form, which we have to fill in during the Amazon Seller’s Account registration, you can either give an EIN or an ITIN. So I was not sure if it makes any difference.

    Look forward to receive your reply.

    August 30, 2016 at 5:54 pm
    • Ryan Reply

      Hi Mattia,

      Either one will work for your business, but we recommend an EIN. EIN’s are for companies (even sole proprietors) while ITIN’s are for individuals. Typically the process is much quicker and easier for an EIN than an ITIN. Let us know if you have any other questions!

      FBAforward Support Team

      August 31, 2016 at 9:13 am
  • Azman Reply

    Really a well put together article.
    I live outside USA and don’t have a sole proprietorship or company either. Can I get EIN as a foreign individual to start doing FBA in US while residing outside US.

    And if ask my supplier to use courier air express- DHL or Fedex to directly ship to Amazon FBA. In that case do I still need EIN.

    Actually, I want to test and try the Amazon FBA without establishing a sole proprietorship or company first hand.


    September 2, 2016 at 11:37 pm
    • Ryan Reply

      Hi Azman,

      Operating as a sole proprietor is essentially operating as an individual, so that’s the path I would take in your situation. Also, we don’t recommend shipping directly from your supplier to FBA. While this can work, your supplier must get everything right, including importer of record, consignee, and prepaying the customs duties. If all of this isn’t done, Amazon will reject the shipment all the way back to the supplier. Additionally, your supplier may or may not ask for it, but you legally need an EIN in order to import into the U.S. Let us know how we can be of assistance!

      FBAforward Support Team

      September 5, 2016 at 8:48 pm
      • Richard Reply

        Hi Ryan,

        I am in the same situation as Azman.

        My supplier has been shipping goods through to FBA for me for a while now.

        There hasn’t been a single issue with customs etc.

        I was wondering: Can I as a Sole Proprietor from a Non-US based company apply for a EIN number in order to apply for State Nexus Tax registration which needs to be paid based on my FBA inventory?

        Also being all of the above. Does this mean I have to pay for Federal Income Tax as well? and if yes, would I just do a personal income statement?

        Thank you

        December 13, 2016 at 8:39 am
  • Oleg Reply

    Once i get my EIN will i still be needing the US mailing address? Can i cancel my USAMail1 service?


    September 16, 2016 at 9:43 am
    • Ryan Reply

      Hi Oleg,

      We recommend keeping the address, at least for a few months, in case the IRS needs to contact you about anything else. Make sure to file a change of address form if you decide to cancel the service!


      FBAforward Support

      September 18, 2016 at 11:55 pm
  • Puja Reply

    Do Canadians need an EIN as well?
    Our company is incorporated in Canada.

    September 20, 2016 at 6:34 am
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Puja,

      You will need an EIN if you do not already have a SSN or ITIN.

      Let us know if you have any other questions!


      FBAforward Support Team

      September 21, 2016 at 11:32 am
    • Sanjay Reply

      Hi Puja,

      Good to see a Canadian on this forum. I am planning to start my Amazon FBA business to sell physical products on Amazon USA website only. May I know if you started out as Sole Proprietorship and later on Incorporated OR Did you Incorporate from the get-go? Your insights would help. Thanks!

      January 20, 2017 at 12:35 pm
  • Arturo Reply


    great article, but why would you need a U.S. mailing address? If I apply via fax for example, would I need anything else than a fax number? Whats the point to get that mailing address?


    September 24, 2016 at 7:04 am
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Arturo,

      It is an IRS requirement to have a US mailing address.

      Thank you,
      FBAforward Support Team

      September 27, 2016 at 12:40 pm
      • Antony Reply

        Hi there,

        The form instructions state we can enter a foreign address. As you mentioned, having a US address is an IRS requirement. Does that mean if I followed their instructions and used a Canadian address, and then called the IRS (as per your instructions), they would would deny my application?

        “Lines 4a–b. Mailing address. Enter the mailing address for
        the entity’s correspondence. If the entity’s address is outside the
        United States or its possessions, you must enter the city,
        province or state, postal code, and the name of the country.
        Don’t abbreviate the country name.

        Lines 5a–b. Street address. Provide the entity’s physical
        address only if different from its mailing address shown in lines
        4a–b. Don’t enter a P.O. box number here. If the entity’s address
        is outside the United States or its possessions, you must enter
        the city, province or state, postal code, and the name of the
        country. Don’t abbreviate the country name.”

        Thanks in advance for your help!

        October 31, 2016 at 8:45 pm
  • Mejba Reply

    i am filling out this form https://sa.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/please-tell.jsp

    SSN/ITIN* is mandatory!

    September 27, 2016 at 6:53 am
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Mejba,

      You can only fill out the online form if you are a US citizen. For all international applicants, you must call the IRS.

      Thank you,
      FBAforward Support Team

      September 27, 2016 at 12:39 pm
  • maria Reply

    Hi there.., you said I can use a friend’s mail, can I also use their EIN if they are willing to give it away?

    September 27, 2016 at 7:53 am
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Maria,

      You should use your own EIN. Once you have a US mailing address, the application for acquiring an EIN is pretty quick!

      Thank you,
      FBAforward Support Team

      September 27, 2016 at 12:41 pm
  • Moses Reply

    Can the EIN be used in opening Bank account in the United States for non US based entities?
    Also, will there be need for some sort of filing and paying tax to the IRS for example if you trade on Amazon for non US companies?


    September 27, 2016 at 2:20 pm
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Moses,

      Yes, you can use an EIN to open a bank account in the US for non-US entities. You may or may not have certain tax reporting requirements because you are selling on Amazon.com. Your EIN will be your reporting identification number. We recommend contacting a local tax professional to get expert advice on your country’s tax reporting requirements.

      FBAforward Support Team

      September 28, 2016 at 10:21 am
  • PS Global Reply

    Hi there,

    We live outside of US, and currently trying to become AMZ Vendor.
    We are having difficulties trying to get registered on Amazon Vendor Express because it requires a Federal Tax ID, in the format: xx-xxxxxxx. Do you have any good suggestions?

    PS Global

    September 28, 2016 at 4:31 am
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi PS Global,

      The EIN will be in the format of xx-xxxxxxx, so that will probably be the best option for you. It’ll be useful when importing products into the US and signing up for any kind of Amazon seller service.

      FBAforward Support Team

      September 28, 2016 at 10:09 am
      • PS Gobal Reply

        Hi Caitllin,

        Thank you for the prompt reply. With EIN registered, does that mean we would be required to e-file taxes on a yearly basis subsequently?

        PS Global

        September 28, 2016 at 7:48 pm
        • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

          Hi PS Global,

          As an international seller, you will typically need to provide Amazon with Form W-8BEN if you are living in a country that has a US tax treaty. We recommend consulting local tax and regulatory advisers for further advice.

          FBAforward Support Team

          September 29, 2016 at 11:13 am
  • Angelina Veronica Reply

    I am not us cityzen should i fill out this form to get the Ein.

    October 11, 2016 at 9:55 am
    • Ryan Reply

      Hi Angelina,

      International companies and individuals cannot use the online form you linked to. You’ll need to call in to apply for your EIN. Let us know if we can help you in any way!

      Best regards,
      FBAforward Support Team

      October 11, 2016 at 2:34 pm
  • Vania Reply

    Hi! I have a question about the SS-4 format that I’m filling out. In space number six of the format it says county and state where the principal business is located. Would this be referring to my location or the mailing address I provided? Also, do I need an ITIN to obtain my EIN? There is a space in this form that asks you for Name of responsible party (7a) and their corresponding SSN, ITIN or EIN.

    October 13, 2016 at 7:58 am
    • Natalie Reply

      I need to know this one as well.

      June 4, 2018 at 6:33 pm
  • Danel Reply

    Hi FBA Forwarder:

    I have proceeded with this information, but at the end they ask for SSN number, which i can’t provide, so i am stuck their and they got rejected my application. So what should i do ?

    October 14, 2016 at 6:32 pm
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Danel,

      You will need to call the IRS in order to apply for an EIN. The online application is only for residents of the US who can provide a SSN.

      FBAforward Support Team

      October 26, 2016 at 11:46 am
  • Mitch Reply


    I have a registered company in Canada. I plan on eventually upgraded to an incorporated company. At that point will I need to change my EIN as well?

    Also is there anything shady about using a friend’s US address or even a pay service US address like you recommended? I want to make sure that I will not be doing anything that could get me in trouble down the road.



    October 24, 2016 at 7:27 am
    • Ryan Reply

      Hi Mitch,

      The EIN application asks what kind of business entity you have, so you’ll need to either apply for a new one or update your entity type with the IRS. Also, there is nothing shady with using another address. It’s like renting a PO box to receive mail. The IRS just needs a U.S. address to send your mail to.

      Let us know if we can help with anything else.



      November 14, 2016 at 5:27 pm
  • Kyla Reply


    I have a SSN because I used to live in the US (not a citizen or resident), but currently live overseas. Will that work? Or will I still need an EIN?


    October 28, 2016 at 6:06 am
    • Ryan Reply

      Hi Kyla,

      You can use an SSN (or any U.S. tax ID for that matter) to import into the U.S. Let us know if we can help with anything else!



      November 14, 2016 at 5:25 pm
  • Yousef Alj Reply


    Thanks for publishing this article.

    Does this same process apply if one is a foreigner looking to incorporate an LLC in the U.S? More specifically, myself and two partners (one partner is a foreigner from my home country and the other partner is a US citizen) are looking to incorporate an LLC in the state of Utah. How would this process change? I tried calling the listed number but can not seem to get through.

    Thanks in advance,


    November 7, 2016 at 10:18 am
  • johnny Reply

    Good day

    i registered a seller account with amazon as a foreign individual.
    i had to complete a tax interview questions section on amazon’s website.

    as the end of these questions i had to complete a W-8BEN form and submitted it on amazon’s website.
    on the website it says that amazon submits all the relevant information to the IRS on my behalf.

    I did not receive an EIN number form them, do i sitll need one?

    November 13, 2016 at 6:21 am
    • Ryan Reply

      Hi Johnny,

      Amazon will let you create a seller account without an EIN. However, to legally import goods into the United States you need either a tax ID (EIN, TIN, etc.) or a Foreign IMporter Number. Of these options, the EIN is usually the easiest and quickest way to go.

      Let us know if you need help with anything else!



      November 14, 2016 at 5:23 pm
  • Aditya Reply


    I have registered a seller account with Amazon.com, where they did not ask me for an EIN or anything. I just had to make a declaration that I’m not a US citizen as part of the Tax Interview.

    As I understand it, the EIN is necessary if one is operating via the FBA model and not necessary if one is fulfilling orders directly. Is this correct?


    November 13, 2016 at 11:46 pm
    • Ryan Reply

      Hi Johnny,

      Amazon will let you create a seller account without an EIN. However, to legally import goods into the United States you need either a tax ID (EIN, TIN, etc.) or a Foreign Importer Number. Of these options, the EIN is usually the easiest and quickest way to go.

      An EIN is necessary to import, regardless of whether you are using FBA or another fulfillment model.

      Let us know if you need help with anything else!



      November 14, 2016 at 5:24 pm
  • Yousof Reply


    Can’t you as the all in shipping and prepping service act as the ultimate consignee for international sellers without them having to have EIN ?

    November 26, 2016 at 5:02 pm
  • Walter Reply

    I am not a US resident and do not have a US address, I would liket to setup a dropshipping site in the US, Do i still need to have the EIN number. The website will be operated from overseas and the order fulfillment would be done by a dropshipper. Could you please advise how to go about?

    December 7, 2016 at 7:08 pm
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hello Walter,

      You will still need an EIN for importing your goods and for tax purposes if you are selling on Amazon.

      FBAforward Support Team

      December 12, 2016 at 11:50 am
  • Marcus Reply

    Hi there

    I am a non U.S citizen.

    I am confused about wether it is mandatory to provide a SSN which i do not have .
    Now i understand it is mandatory to provide SSN if you want to apply for anEIN online but if you are not from the USA you just call the IRS and state you are not a citizen in the US and they will give you an EIN without further asking?

    thank you for the help

    June 30, 2017 at 4:26 am
    • Marcus Reply

      i do not have a TIN or ITIN either!

      June 30, 2017 at 4:41 am
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply


      You are correct. The IRS does not have support for international EIN application online. As long as you have the information from the application ready, they can provide one to you over the phone without an SSN.

      July 3, 2017 at 1:54 pm
  • daniel Reply

    I,m from Spain and I just make a LLC in Delaware and now I need to obtain the EIN number and SS4 form for Amazon but I want to ask you if I need a mail adress in Delaware o is not important the State where I found the mail adress.
    Best Regards,

    July 17, 2017 at 5:08 am
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Daniel,

      Your mailing address just needs to be in the US, so it does not need to be in Delaware.

      July 17, 2017 at 8:59 am
  • Vinay Reply

    Hi thanks for this wonderful post, very concise and to the point. I’m in UK and wanted EIN and going through the ss-4 guidance form I saw that having US mailing address wasn’t a necessity so I just followed step 2 and 3 and got my EIN in under 15 minutes.

    July 27, 2017 at 1:04 am
    • SamAG Reply

      Hi Vinay,
      Can you describe the exact steps you took to get your EIN? And am I getting it right that you did NOT have to sign-up for a US address and you were not required to provide one? can you explain how?

      Thank you…

      September 11, 2017 at 4:15 pm
  • Maciej Reply


    I am living in Poland
    I have LLC in Wyoming and I also have US mailing adress.

    Today when I was calling to IRS they told me I have to send SS-4 in order to obtain EIN. Have I done something wrong? I though they can give me EIN after telephone call.

    August 28, 2017 at 1:27 pm
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Maciej,

      If you have principal place of business, or principal office or agency in the U.S. or U.S. possessions, you can receive an EIN online. But, you must have one of the following: SSN,
      EIN, or ITIN. If you or another owner does not, you need to let the IRS know over the phone that you do not. You should also let them know that you have a US address. Typically, you will be required to mail in your SS-4 if you do not have a US mailing address or an SSN.

      August 29, 2017 at 10:10 am
      • Viktor Reply

        I just had conversation over the phone about the same situation (LLC is registered in NJ) and a rep told me I need to fax SS-4 leaving SSN/ITIN empty or n/a. As he said, they do not provide EIN over the phone in like this situation anymore (?).
        Otherwise, I can’t understand the meaning of Line 6 – if someone is asking for the US EIN but business is not in the US. Or should I tell a rep that entity is not registered yet/has no principal address?
        Thank you

        October 19, 2017 at 3:46 pm
        • Caitlin Donnelly Reply


          Do you have an ITIN then? If so, you can apply for an EIN online. These instructions are for those who do not have an SSN or ITIN and are international applicants.


          October 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
          • Viktor

            If I had an ITIN I’d definitely do it online, so no, I don’t have one. It means for those, who are outside US, but has US business location, they must send a form over Fax or mail.
            I did it a week ago by Fax and still haven’t received my EIN back, although it is promised to be proceeded within 4 business days.

            November 1, 2017 at 7:16 pm
          • Caitlin Donnelly


            Interesting- We weren’t aware of this situation. Thanks for keeping us updated!

            We hope your EIN arrives soon!


            November 3, 2017 at 2:54 pm
        • Carl Reply

          Just called them and same problem: US business need to fax this form even if you have 7b N/A

          November 14, 2017 at 4:58 am
  • Haru Reply

    Hi. I live in Jamaica.

    I signed up with Amazon on their YouTube Influencer Program. The program requires a USA mailing address and telephone number along with the EIN.

    How can you help with this? Thanks.

    September 19, 2017 at 7:43 pm
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Haru,

      We don’t currently process EIN applications or provide US addresses/phone numbers on behalf of our customers. But, you can follow the instructions in this article! The process is relatively simple and doesn’t take too much time.


      September 20, 2017 at 1:54 pm
  • Pam Middaugh Reply

    I submitted my EIN application and received it in less than a week. All thanks to your help! Keep up the good work. I will contact you again once I have my cargo ready.

    October 11, 2017 at 2:21 am
    • Coban Reply

      Please how did you go about it.?? I need one urgently and I’m presently out of the United States and not a US citizen. Thanks

      January 29, 2018 at 5:59 am
  • Urs Reply

    Thanks for the great article.

    Wish I had read earlier. We have already set up an EIN, but with our foreign address. Do you know if we are able to change the address on our EIN account to a US address, and how?

    October 25, 2017 at 12:51 pm
  • Tom Reply

    Hi.I’m a foreign entity without us mailing address and I received EIN with a phonecall to IRS. They even told me that they are sending the official paper to my LLC address in estonia, europe. Only thing i paid for was a huge cellphone bill, but i guess you cannot blame IRS on that. I have another question. To whom i have to pass my EIN number. I’m about to ship from China to U.S FBA warehousr as a DHL delivering and acting as customs broker. Do i have to pass my EIN to DHL or upload it somewhere to Amazon to get the tax stuff done?

    October 26, 2017 at 5:17 am
  • ehab Reply

    i am in USA and i have personal bank account , but the bank ask about ITIN or EIN number to continuities the service
    pls tell me how to get EIN number and fill the form or send example for filled form

    October 30, 2017 at 3:41 pm
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply


      If filing for an EIN over the phone, you will not need to submit a physical form. The form is just a guide for the information the IRS agent will ask you for.

      October 30, 2017 at 3:44 pm
  • Clipping Path Service Reply

    Good information to get an EIN. Really easy steps that you have mentioned. thank you very much.

    November 5, 2017 at 11:29 pm
  • Rue Reply

    I just got mine within 23 minutes of call with an IRS guy!

    I didn’t really need to fill out the form, you just need it as a guide when answering.
    Should’ve just listened and followed the instructions here.
    For non-US citizens like me rather buy a skype credit which is $10, it’s better to get a subscription in Skype for only $2.99 unlimited calls and minutes for a month. You can cancel it immediately anyway.

    Thankfully I wasn’t on hold for a long time, I was directed straight to the interview.
    You just need the following and all will be well:
    – US Mailing address
    – Google Voice / Skype Account + Credit card
    – Pen and paper to write your EIN number and keep some notes

    That’s it~

    November 16, 2017 at 8:20 pm
    • Carl Reply

      Domestic company and foreign ownership?
      Or your company is outside US?

      November 24, 2017 at 6:44 am
  • Jonathan Reply

    great information thanks a lot, one question it’s better to get an EIN or a ITIN?

    December 25, 2017 at 6:32 pm
  • Galina Reply

    I’m sorry if the question is stupid, but do I need a registered business in the U.S. to apply for EIN?

    I offer services on Freelance.com and I crossed the line of $20 000 per year on my U.S. PayPal. Now I’m required to provide some tax id.

    Thanks in advance for any info!

    January 3, 2018 at 6:43 pm
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Galina,

      No, you don’t!

      January 4, 2018 at 10:09 am
  • Juan Reply

    Short question: I want to start selling thru Amazon, but I am a USA non Resident. Can I give to the IRS my uncle’s address for the mailing service?

    January 5, 2018 at 10:54 am
  • Rhoewena Reply

    I am thankful I came across this article. It clarified my question on US mailing address and EIN/ITIN plus I got a bonus information on skype credit unlimited calls in the thread. I will definitely follow these steps.

    Though not related to EIN inquiry, can you please help me on the requirement for a bank account number where they can deposit my earnings? What can I do about this? I am a non-US citizen based in the Philippines.

    Also, if I register as an individual seller, can I get an “alias” as an account name or would they see my full name as the account name? Sorry, if this question is stupid but I would like to know. Thanks in advance for your responses!

    January 14, 2018 at 10:44 am
  • Lesley Reply

    Great article, thanks! I will apply for a EIN this week. The funny thing is: yesterday I registered my Amazon seller account and I wasn’t asked for an EIN or ITIN anywhere. Double checked all anwsers in my tax interview and entered my info correctly. Any idea why I wasn’t asked for an EIN or ITIN? Maybe I overlooked something. Don’t wanna break any rules ofcourse 😉
    Thanks in advance!


    January 30, 2018 at 12:59 pm
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Lesley,

      Go to your Seller Central Account, Settings > Account Info > Legal Entity. Answer the questions and it will guide you through the process.

      Hope that helps!

      February 1, 2018 at 2:51 pm
    • Inci Reply

      I think Payoneer.com might be useful 🙂

      March 8, 2018 at 7:27 pm
  • omry Reply

    Hi There,

    I have Been trying to call the IRS for the last couple of days (in the right days and hours, EST) and there was no any respond. I have scan all over the internet end I have got a little frustrated.

    I found this site very helpful with the information it provides and I;m wonder if you have any clue about the IRS activity ?

    Thank’s !

    January 31, 2018 at 1:46 pm
    • Caitlin Donnelly Reply

      Hi Omry,

      Unfortunately, we can’t be of much help when it comes to getting a hold of the IRS. Glad we could provide some useful information, though!

      February 1, 2018 at 2:53 pm
  • Biba Reply

    I want to ask you : I don’t have a LLC, company or anything and I live outside US. I’m preparing to start with sell on Amazon and according your article I need EIN number. Can I fill out the form SS-4 as a individual ? What should I put in line 9a or I should leave it empty? What should I put in line 10 ? Thanks

    February 3, 2018 at 12:10 pm
  • William Reply

    Hi there,

    I am from Hong Kong, Does it work if I setup the company at Hong Kong and get the ENI?
    or I must setup the company at U.S.?
    Since I realise the form requires me to provide the Legal name of entity etc. shall the business be registered at U.S. only ?

    February 6, 2018 at 1:37 am
  • Soko Reply


    Can I import to the USA from China if I’m a Canadian Sole Proprietorship with an EIN or will I have to incorporate?

    February 24, 2018 at 11:31 am
  • Mike Reply

    I’m not a US person (no US resident and citizenship) and have my own UK based company.

    I would like to know if I had to ask en EIN only for Dropshipping (NO Amazon) as :

    – buying in Asia and sell items on Shopify store for US customers only
    – buying in Asia or from US based suppliers and sell on Shopify for US customers only

    I do not want to pay double taxes (in the US and in the UK) !!

    Does gathering incomes information mean that we also need to pay an US accountant ?


    February 27, 2018 at 1:39 am
  • Muhammad Reply

    Hi, I’m a UK seller on Amazon.com and I would like to enrol in the FBA programme. I understand I need an EIN for tax purposes. Do I still need that even though I’ve got VAT number in the UK? Thank you.

    March 26, 2018 at 6:57 am
  • Rahul Reply

    HI. I am based in Canada. I called IRS to register my Canadian corporation but got stuck when they asked what form I was using for my corporation – 8832 or 2553 . I am not sure about that and would probably need to consult a USA CPA and then sign up with FBAforward as soon as I get through this process.

    March 26, 2018 at 6:18 pm
  • Marshall Reply

    Thanks guys ! you rcok ..
    I followed your instruction and called the IRS and got my EIN inn less than 20 minutes.
    got a usa mail account , filled the form and last but not least called the IRS , Bammm its done.
    Thanks again FBA Forward.

    May 9, 2018 at 5:21 am
  • Robert Smith Reply

    Is this really work? Can anyone tell me who tried this?

    May 16, 2018 at 10:38 pm
  • wael Reply

    hi fbaforward
    i want to establish ein to complete my registration in merch by amazon and i’m not a us resident so if you do that for me how mush it cost ?…. thank you

    May 19, 2018 at 12:20 pm
  • Charlie Reply

    If I set up an EIN now as a foreign Sole Proprietor, but then have to setup an LLC later down the line, will that mean we would need to have TWO (2) EINS?

    Is there any advantage right now to just setup an LLC straight away getting an EIN in the process?

    Please advise, thanks!

    May 20, 2018 at 11:57 pm
  • Sara Reply

    Great article! Our company is based in Germany but distributed in the US. We created a seller account to list our products in the US. We obtained an EIN, but under a slightly different name than our official business name in Germany. We passed the Tax interview using this EIN, the new US company name and our German address.

    However, now we are having trouble with our selling applications because our safety documents refer to our German company name and our legal Amazon seller name does not match. I can change our legal entity in Seller Central, but will have to re-take the tax interview and am of course nervous that we’ll fail if the company name entered doesn’t match the company name printed on our EIN. Any advice?

    June 13, 2018 at 10:41 am
  • Aitan Melman Reply

    I am a USA citizen, but i live outside the USA.
    Can i use the IRS online service to get my EIN number?


    June 21, 2018 at 3:02 pm
  • Andy Reply


    May I know how to open a US bank account remotely as a non-US resident without physical presence in the US? Also is it possible to use a foreign limited liability company (eg. registered in HK or Australia) to apply the EIN?


    June 26, 2018 at 1:50 am
  • Pauline Soh Reply

    I am a foreigner but already have ITIN. Can I use this no. to import into USA?


    July 4, 2018 at 2:06 am

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Warning: mysqli_query(): (HY000/1): Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_7bca_0.MYI' (Errcode: 28 - No space left on device) in /home/fbaforwa/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1924